1st, 3rd, and 4th THURSDAYS at 4 PM MT
NEW in 2024!!! Three-month pass holders who are also members of Fiddle School receive access to a private Swing Improv community group in Circle.
Dates: January 4, 18, 25
Here’s a video of my band, Katie Glassman & Snapshot, performing at Dazzle Jazz in Denver, CO at my CD release concert in 2011. (My secret trick in the middle will have to be for another webinar – hehehe.)
In light of the most recent Beatles release (if you haven’t heard it, it’s magical) I wanted to teach a song from the White Album, Honey Pie, written by Paul McCartney. This is a great tune to bring into swing circles! You may have to show folks the chords, but they sure are classic swing progressions.
In this workout we”ll:
- Sing the song
- Work out in increments: Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5
- Learn the chord progression, including the 1 to the flat 6, and the dominant 2 to the dominant 5 chords
- Learn Western swing and swing licks
- Engage in the double stops that can fill throughout this melody
Old Fashioned Love
Work Out the Keys: Learn the melody and chords in D, C, and G.
Dates: February 1, 15, 22
This is one of the most standard Western Swing tunes there is! And yet, every band plays it in a different key. Why? This is a very particular song to sing, so every singer has to find their right key. This workout will help you unlock your attachment to the key that you’re in.
- Learn to hear the sound of the melody and transpose
- Imprint the chords in numbers
- Move the chords through the keys
- It’ll be a workout, but easier than you think – and of course, I’ll throw in some classic Western Swing licks!
Dates: November 2, 16, 30
Rework and reuse all of the skills that you learned in Bring it On Down to My House Honey. This chord progression is similar, but different. Internalize the chords, and learn to highlight the most important notes on the chord change.
- How to use shout choruses over the chord progression
- Work the chords with the Bring it on Home Skills
- Develop a tried and true chord workout
- Rhythm workout through the chords
- Use the blues
The 3-Month Pass automatically signs you up for our entire upcoming 3 month series of classes (that’s 9 classes total).
IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT 3-MONTH PASSES & DEADLINES: 3-Month Passes are available to purchase for a limited time prior to the start of each three-month series. 3-Month Passes are series-specific, meaning they cannot be transferred to another series, and cannot be paused. To make sure you are registered for the series of your choice, please purchase your 3-Month Pass by 11:59 PM MT the night before the first class of the series.